Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tuesday Tribute: Holiday Songs

I know it's not Tuesday, but it's the holiday season dammit, so grab some nog, curl up by the yule log and check out some of the spirit I'm about to cast your way. When you think of the holiday season, the one thing that many loathe is hearing the constant holiday cheese on every single radio station the minute Thanksgiving is over. While it's complete overkill year after year, there are a handfull of tunes that personally, I don't mind getting down to. As a matter of fact, I would have to say that Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas album is one of my favorite piano-jazz albums of all time and I have no shame in saying that I have listened to it in July many times. Just like everybody has a sweet-spot for the holiday season, everybody has a sweet-spot for certain holiday tunes, no matter how embarrassing they may be. Here are my picks, but I would love to hear yours, even if only to make me feel like less of a loser.

First up is the classic "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses. The same group that brought you the snide 80's classic "I Know What Boys Like," brings you one of Christmas' funkiest bass lines mixed with the nonchalant vocals of the now deceased Patty Donahue.



2009 has been a year of remembrance of the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Keeping up with funky basslines, we go back to the times of the Jackson 5 (before they were exploiting Michael via reality show) for their rendition of "Santa Claus is Coming To Town." Many have done it, The Boss did a good one, but I'm partial to the Motown sounds of the Jackson 5.



Next up is the Mariah Carey classic that even the most hopeless singers croon along to in the car. I wish this song wasn't so damn catchy, because every year it hits a weak spot inside of me that compels me to put it on every playlist I make in the month of December.



James Brown passed away on Christmas a few years ago. I remember it clearly because my dad was basically depressed the whole day and it made for one of the more awkward Christmasses in memory. Regardless, his James Brown's Funky Christmas album is a classic and so is its first track "Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto."



Last up is the legendary Vince Guaraldi and his unforgettable "Linus and Lucy." Before there was Ritalin, apparently the kiddies would dance there crazies out because these kids can really go. This is only a short clip from the movie, so I included another tune from the album, "Skating," featuring a very makeshift homemade video. Enjoy and Happy Holidays to you and yours.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. How could you forget to post this classic?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVs6X9yIM_k&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete